Sustaining Motivation Like a Boss
A little progress each day adds up to big results – Unknown
Motivation (noun) – the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
Based on this definition take a moment to think, what are your reasons for doing something? Or what is the end goal you are trying to achieve? Why do you need motivation?
Motivation comes and goes for a lot of people, and so it is important to take a moment every once in a while to get re-motivated.
But how do you get motivated in the first place?
Well the first thing to do is to decide what you are trying to achieve, whether it be a fitness related goal, build an online business, or maybe it is to become better at your hobby. Whatever it is, it is likely some end goal that you can visualize yourself doing. Which makes sense, because I think we have all visualized ourselves being successful at a particular thing at some point in our lives. But now we need to figure out how we get there while staying motivated.
It is said that it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at something. That is a very long time! This means that you will likely need to find some additional motivation to go the extra mile. Actively sustaining your motivation will allow you to persevere and be consistent which will put your goal within reach much sooner. Without actively sustaining your motivation you may end up quitting or slacking off before you even make it halfway, which is not what you want!
Below are some ideas that can help you keep your motivation while working towards your end goal:
- Plan your days. Decide ahead time what you need to do during your days that will allow you to reach your end goal. This could mean setting aside an hour for the gym, or maybe an hour to practice your skills in some other way. I suggest actually buying a planner and writing these things down. It is a better way to keep yourself accountable.
- Brainstorm. Research individuals or information that motivate you towards your goal. YouTube is a great place for this because you can see how people who are good at the thing you want to be good at go about their day. They also usually explain how they got better at it as well.
- Track your progress. By setting smaller goals, you will be able to track your progress as go along. Reaching a smaller goal will give you the motivation to keep working towards the next goal.
- Take a couple minutes every so often to reflect on how far you have come. Seeing your progress will keep you focused on your goal and being consistent.
- Reward yourself! Rewards can take on any form you like, whether it be a specialty coffee, or new workout gear. Rewards are helpful in sustaining motivation because they are tangible markers for how far you have come. They also keep you looking forward to the next one.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Comparing yourself to others can take away your positive feelings from all the progress you have made. It is not helpful to introduce feelings of doubt when you are trying to achieve a goal. If you are able to use these people as motivation then that is great, but don’t directly compare your progress to theirs. They are a different person!
These are some ideas you can think about while you are working your way to a specific goal. I think we all get caught up in the idea that we will never be good enough, or it is just too hard to achieve the thing we want. This is where it is critical to step back and reflect on why you are doing what you are doing. There is usually a great reason for the end goal, and reminding yourself of that, and reframing your thinking can bring back the motivation to continue on.
It is also important to remember that when you are working towards something, it is okay if you have a bad day, or take a couple days off! Each day is a new one, and there is no reason to allow the day before to affect your hard work today.
I hope you found this information helpful! I personally follow inspirational people on YouTube as a way for myself to sustain motivation. Seeing them talk about how they are working towards their goals, or providing advice in general helps keep me focused on my goals. Instagram is also a great place to find motivation, as there are tons of people out there doing what you want to be doing, and generally they will share information on how to go about tackling your goal.